In the past couple of weeks I've been getting up earlier in the morning and sketching for about an hour before I begin working on any other projects. It’s easy to fit in my schedule now since I am on winter break, hopefully I can keep this up during school. This has really helped me get into a working mode and since I love sketching it puts me in a better mood. It also gives me a chance to work on subjects that are harder to draw.

Even though there are lots of reasons why people suggest to work from life (All of them valid!), I usually work from photos for this warm up because it’s just more convenient. Usually when looking through stock on Deviant Art for certain reference photos I’ll come across images I’d really like to draw and just add them to a favorites folder, then when I  sit down to sketch I don’t have to waste time finding images.

I always try to choose at least one super challenging subject. Hands, horses, anatomy, horse, oh and more horses. I've been doing quite a lot of sketches of horses because I am working on a painting of Helm’s Deep (from The Lord of The Rings) for the boyfriend.  The Equine mammal has just been one big challenge area.

So yeah, after being told multiple times that there is no such thing as drawing or painting too much; through practice and patience I have found this is pretty accurate. Though it would be pretty awesome if the horse looked right the first time you draw it.     

This blog post was inspired by the most recent Lean Into Art Podcast Link
This sketch dump on DeviantArt Link

No comments:

Post a Comment